What is a bio-based product and what are
What is a bio-based product?
Definition used for Federal Bio-based Product Preferred Provider
A product determined to be a commercial or industrial product (other
than food or feed) that is composed, in whole or in significant part,
of biological products or renewable domestic agricultural materials
(including plant, animal, and marine materials) or forestry materials.
A bio-based Product:
- Relies on plant or animal materials as the main ingredient.
- The plants or animals utilized are a renewable resource.
- With some exceptions, generally do not contain synthetics, toxins
or environmentally damaging substances.
Benefits of Bio-based Products
- Generally healthier and safer for the user.
- Generally healthier for the environment.
- Reduced dependence on imported oil.
- Generally helpful to the economy.
- Extremely helpful to the rural economy.
Because bio-based products by definition are made from renewable
plant or animal materials rather than synthetic chemicals or
- Help reduce water and air pollution by displacing fossil fuels and
- Pose little or no risks to animal, plant, and marine life in the
event of a spill.
- Pose far less risk to both indoor and outdoor environments when in
- Pose far less burden on landfills in disposal due to